Thursday, April 17, 2008

Why this site?

For some reason, I've always loved the Corporate Music Store©. This is mostly because a) I'm very sentimental, b) because I didn't have a license until I was 18 years old, and c) because Corporate Music Store© was all I had. The first reason is totally irrational. Wouldn't it make sense to move on and adopt a better way to get music? Aren't there other stores, and moreover, isn't everything for free on the internet?

Like I said, I'm totally irrational when it comes to sentimentality. There are a lot of reasons why I'd be attached to the 78X78 square feet of space that I've come to know as my beloved Corporate Music Store©, and one of them would be because I bought some of my favorite albums there and starting from Junior High leading all the way up to my senior year of high school, this one Corporate Music Store was the closest thing to having Disneyland in a 5 mile radius from my house, and that includes the Disneyland knock-off amusement park that is probably a mile from my house. The music store that I bought "Master of Puppets" and "Number of the Beast" is no longer in existence. The same holds true for the music store that I bought my copy of Faith No More's "Video Croissant" home video. However, the epicenter of almost all my most pivotal album purchases was at Corporate Music Store©. I'll always be sentimental for the place that I bought all 8 of the Ozzy-era Black Sabbath albums and the store I bought Alice In Chains' "Jar of Flies" EP. To me, it stands for something.

Again, this is totally irrational because it's a building and moreover, it's a building that just so happens to reside someplace really close to where I grew up and somehow managed to still make enough money to not close down. At the end, that's probably its most substantiated claim to fame: it hasn't gone out of business...yet. It's not cool, it's not pretty, it's hardly conveniently located (within a kind-of strip-mall), and it's certainly not cheap. It's just there. It's not remembered for being the place that I lost not one but TWO jobs because of (the first because I talked about working there so much that I didn't properly attend to my bagel-sandwich making duties and the second because I showed up to work at the music store the same day I blew off work at Office Max), or the place Justin Timberlake's mom came to in order to buy singles when N*Sync was in town. It's the kind of place that few are loyal to and hardly anyone will remember after its doors close.

Except me, because I'm way too sentimental.

No comments: